President Trump officializes the “Muslim ban”

US President Donald Trump signs Executive Orders in the Hall of Heroes at the Department of Defense Friday, Jan. 27, 2017 in Arlington, Va. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS) 1196704
US President Donald Trump signs Executive Orders at the Department of Defense to prohibit Muslims from entering the states. PHOTO COURTESY OF POLITIFACT

Immediate consequences have followed after President Trump has ordered an executive “Muslim ban” that enforces a suspension of refugees, including those with U.S. verification, from seven countries. On January 27, President Trump had issued an executive order which strictly regulates the movement of people, especially foreigners, in and out of the nation. Americans nationwide have fiercely protested against the order as it was “unconstitutional,” claiming President Trump only wants to keep out refugees. 

Junior Makarya Diaz stated her concerns for similar ethnic-based regulations and the responses given from Americans. “[Protests] are going to increase over time,” said Diaz. “We should definitely worry because this [ban] will open doors for discrimination to other groups.”

The seven countries that the executive order has prohibited from entering the United States.
Six of the seven countries that the executive order has prohibited from entering the United States. PHOTO COURTESY OF YAHOO NEWS

The order had not only targeted the prevention of refugees from entering the nation, but had also pressed to lower the number of refugees from any country from 110,000 refugees to 50,000. Nearly 500,000 people from the seven targeted countries of Iraq, Iran, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, and Yemen have green cards which hold the people’s rights to stay in the United States and is fully granted as part of the immigration process to seek employment and permanent resident in the nation. This meant that people who traveled away during the time of the executive order will be detained in regional airports despite holding legal verification.

“I believe the [Trump administration] is not protecting the citizens, but is causing fear for the people, especially the minorities”, said Diaz.

In response to Trump’s executive order, Seattle federal judge James Robart issued a temporary nationwide halt of this ban on Friday, February 4, after filing a lawsuit against it earlier last week. “No one is above the law, not even the President,” said Washington Attorney General Bob Ferguson, according to The Hill.  

Tiffany Leung

Share this post

Post Comment