Students were treated to a series of events organized by the Math Club on Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017 at Mark Keppel High School. Events like Scavenger Hunt or Structure Building pushed students to use their math skills to solve questions and complete objectives. Students also participated in other events such as Puzzles and Riddles and Creative Writing.
The members of Math Club planned the event months in advance. Committee head Milton Mak said, “It took [a] lot of long nights. We spent a majority of this month and last month planning ahead and coordinating with all of the math teachers and the librarian.” Mr Chavez, one of the math teachers that helped in planning the event, praised the students on how well they did. “We [teachers] were in the background because this was an event done by students, for the students, with the students.” said Mr. Chavez. He hopes that the students learned how to work in groups and how to cooperate with other people.
After the four main events, Scavenger Hunt, Structure Building, Puzzles and Riddles, and Creative Writing, students were then tasked to participate in smaller activities such as playing cards or making origami while the proctors set up the awarding ceremony.
There is space for improvement, however. Freshman Raven Ferrer said, “[The Scavenger Hunt] was really, really disorganized. Half the time I didn’t know where to go next so I had to ask the proctor.” Regardless, students were still able to experience math in fresh perspective, and many participants said they would gladly compete again next year.
- 1st Place – Group#1 (Mingyuan Li, Brianna Proud, Tiffany Zhang, Vivian Padilla, Samantha Hernandez)
- 2nd Place – Group#10 (Valeria Dao, Michael Gabriel, Kaylie Leung, Joshua Soto, Joey Siu)
- 3rd Place – Group#25 (Clement Chan, YuFeng Li, Honghao Lin, Polly Ren, Derica Tang)
Puzzles and Riddle:
- 1st Place – Tommy Chao, Zina Tran
- 2nd Place – Yuen Yu, Michelle Bi
- 3rd Place – Mikayla Kwok, David Lieu
- 1st Place – Alyssa Ngu, Joseph Ng, Jaclyn Ng
- 2nd Place – Jordan La, Anny Jiang, Geri Ruiz
- 3rd Place – Matthew Tan, Brittney Luong, Jenny Zhong
- 1st Place – Angie Law
- 2nd Place – Faith Torres
- 3rd Place – Pauline Liew